Friday, November 16, 2012

The [Ph]inal Stretch

It seems like I've been tapering for over a month--oh wait, I have! It's hard to believe that I'm actually going to be running a marathon this weekend, but each time I've looked at my calendar the last few days there it's been: November 18, the Philadelphia Marathon.

I'll be a long ways behind this guy but just as happy.
What am I most looking forward to on Sunday? The finish line. Even worse than extending my taper has been delaying my recovery. At one point this fall I had a whole plan mapped out for how November was going to be basically a month long recovery. I'd included several nights of debauchery and several weekend afternoon of hazy stupor in this golden vision of my November.

Now that dream will have to go unrealized. With Houston only two months away and Boston training set to being in mid-January I won't get the same amount of down-time I had planned for, but I'll still get some. That just means I'm going to have to make the most of the last days of November.

In other words, after I cross that finish line on Sunday--no matter what my time--I plan on celebrating. If you're in Philly this weekend, please join me (or at least point me in the direction of the nearest bar).

Oh yeah, if you want to stalk me during the race (no promises on speed), my bib is 1439. See you at the finish!

1 comment:

  1. you will do great! at least take it easy (drink, eat, be merry) over thanksgiving weekend. another reason why i love the philly marathon -- you cannot beat the timing. guilt-fee thanksgiving feast!

    ReplyDelete