Monday, July 23, 2012

Exploring on the Run: Boston

As my Friday post may have hinted, I was out of town this weekend. For the first time in ages I went to Boston for reasons completely unrelated to the BAA marathon. Although I went to hang out with friends that doesn't mean there was no running involved in my visit.

Every year during race weekend I get to do a short shake-out run and every year I think: Gee, wouldn't it be swell to explore a Boston's running paths? Well, this weekend offered a perfect opportunity for me to cover some new territory. I was staying in Brookline right on the marathon course but my goal was to avoid the course as much as possible.

Lot of green around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir
I finally got to run the Chestnut Hill Reservoir which is right next to the course. Although its circumference is almost the same as the Central Park Reservoir, it feels much bigger because the path is much wider and its surrounded by open space.

From there I made my way to the Charles which has both paved and unpaved paths on either side. I crossed into Cambridge over the Weeks bridge, ran around Harvard Square and the Cambridge Common, before taking the Harvard Bridge back into Boston.

At that point I followed Beacon Street back towards where I was staying, retracing the marathon route in reverse. It felt like more of a climb than I remembered, but just to finish on a high note, I took a detour up Summit Ave which climbs to Corey Hill's 515 peak and offers great views of the city from Corey Hill Park (I'm told they're even better in the winter when there are no leaves on the trees.

It was a wonderful run and an even better weekend. With any luck, I'll be back in Boston before next April.

No comments:

Post a Comment