Thursday, January 26, 2012

An early 8, or why I love the Reservoir

Today my schedule called for an 8 miler with 10 x 100m strides (actually, the schedule called for this run yesterday, but I figured I would take advantage of the wamer temps–hello mid-40s!–for my 11).

In an ideal world, I would do strides barefoot on the grass, but in NYC in the middle of winter trying to find an open stretch of flat green space is like trying to find a nude beach in Dubai. I’ve found that the next best option is the Centeral Park Reservoir loop. It’s a dirt/gravel path with markers every 20 yds, so computing distance is easy, and it’s flat! The only downside is that for a day or two after any big rain, there are giant puddles everywhere (thankfully, it hasn’t rained since Monday).

The run itself wasn’t too eventful. My strides were pretty consistent, with the final 5 being about 1 second faster each than the first 5. The only weird thing was a pain I noticed in my right hamstring during my cool-down. Hopefully this is just one of those random aches that’ll go away after some quality time with the foam roller tonight!

Note: This entry was originally posted January 25, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment