Thursday, January 26, 2012

Marathon Training Day #1, or how I welcomed the reopening of the East River Esplanade

In 2010, I ran my first Boston Marathon using an 18 week plan (I modified Hal Higdon’s Advanced II schedule). The following year, I used another 18 week schedule (Peter Pfitzinger’s 18/70). Were I using an 18 week schedule this time around, I would 6 weeks into marathon training by now. However, because I had he Houston Half on tap this year, I decided to concentrate on training for that during December. That means I’m trying a 12 marathon schedule for the first time. I think I’ve got a pretty good base–40 to 50 miles a week with weekend long runs of 13 to 16 miles–so I’m hoping to arrive in Hopkinton ready to go.

Officially, this marathon cycle kicked off yesterday, but Mondays are rest days in the Pfitz program (I’m using his 12/70 plan) so today was my first “real” day. The plan called for 11 miles but after Sunday’s 2+ loop of Central Park, I wanted something less repetitive. Thankfully, the East Side Esplanade has reopened in the E 70s so I ran south through Central Park, along 60th to the East River, and was able to enjoy the uninterrupted waterfront path all the way to 120th St.

It’s hard to believe it, but  path has been closed for more than a year while they put up a new pedestrian bridge at E 78th St. While I doubt I’ll be using that bridge much, it definitely is great to see the City investing in pedestrian improvements. It seems like every year waterfront access gets better. Now if they could only do something about that pesky stretch from 34th to 59th…

Note: This entry was originally posted January 24, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment