Friday, April 27, 2012

No NYCM for Me (This Year)

First things first, I wasn't chosen in the  New York City Marathon lottery. That means that 2012 will be the first time since 2009 that I haven't done this race. Am I bummed? Yes and no.

Yes because this is an amazing event. There's really nothing like running over the Verrazano Bridge with 45,000 people while Sinatra's "New York, New York" is blaring at 100 decibels, or reading the creative signs along 4th Avenue, or making the turn off of the Queensboro into the 1st Avenue wall of sound.

No because, like last year, I'm signed up to run Chicago. While running two marathons a month apart is doable, the recovery period after the second one sucks. Last year it meant that my whole fall was either taken up by marathon training or by marathon recover (look at October which was a combination of both!).

When I first moved to New York I went to watch the race in Central Park and had an amazing time. This year I have tons of friends who will be running it so I'll have even more reason to cheer. As for next year, I'm working on my 9+1 so I plan to be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment