Friday, February 3, 2012

Doubling Up, or the Lengths I'll go to for Extra Rest

Yesterday morning while I was out doing my early recover 5 miles, all I could think about was how nice it would be to sleep in. For my MLRs, I have to get up between 4:30 and 4:45 am. For my 5 milers, I could get away with waking up at 5:45, though I tend to wake up at 5:30 because I don't like being rushed. Anyway, I had a 9 mile tempo run schedule for Friday with 4 miles at LT (lactate threshold) pace. I knew this would require another early morning and I really wanted sleep.

How did I resolve this conflict? I did the LT run last night! Well, I did an abbreviated version. Since it was my second run of the day, I cut my warm-up to one mile, did my four LT miles (all between a 6:11 and 6:15 pace--roughly what I estimate by 15k pace would be) and then cooled down with half a mile. I felt great during the whole run. I was a little worried because I haven't done much in the way of speed since Houston which was almost 3 weeks ago but I guess my body enjoyed the break!

It may not have been quite the same as doing the full distance today, but I'm hoping to get in an early LR tomorrow and extra rest just sounded more important today.

No comments:

Post a Comment