Wednesday, February 1, 2012

To lift or not to lift?

Today was another early morning MLR. This time I ended up with 11.5 miles in Central Park. I had planned to do the same 11 miler I did last week via the East Side, but at the last minute decided I would rather skip the traffic lights and stay in the park. The best part about running in the park so often is that I can always make a pretty accurate guess of how long a run is so on days like today where I change my mind, I can still make sure I meet my distance goal.

Okay--now I want to talk about something other than running: I want to talk about lifting. I hate doing weights. I don't know why, but I do. Nevertheless, we often hear that running alone isn't enough. Every "serious" runner does some form of strength training too. I go through cycles where I'm good about doing strength training on a regular basis (2 to 3 times a week) and then I go through cycles where I won't touch a weight for a month.

Lately, I've been rowing a lot for cross-training (I'll address this in a post down the road) but the past week I've hit the weights a couple times too. I'm curious how many of you (haha! he think's he has readers!) incorporate strength training into your running focused training. Do you lift on a regular basis? Do you think it helps your running? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment