Friday, February 10, 2012

Running for Lunch

In case you can't tell, I'm still getting used to being part of the working world, at least the 9 to 5 working world. I finished grad school back in May and spent the summer working at a bakery in Seattle so this is my first foray into the "real word" of the 9 to 5 office job.

Photo credit: thelowdownny.com
Lunch time is kind of weird. Some days I have so much work to do that I feel guilty leaving my desk (so I don't). Other days, I may not be as busy, but I feel too tired to go anywhere other than our cafeteria. The point is, lunch doesn't tend to be that exciting. Well, inspired by my first running commute, I decided to try something new today: the lunch-time run!

Instead of heading to the cafeteria today I headed to the locker room and suited up--or suited down? Anyway, I managed to get in a decent 5 mile run along the East River. It was a little windy but the temps were good and best of all I got to do the whole run in sunlight! (It's funny how much I appreciate that now, but it really makes a world of difference). There were plenty of other folks out enjoying the weather on their lunch hour (and one jerk smoking a cheap cigar in the middle of the bike path).

When I got back from the run I ate at my desk while working to make up for lost time but I felt a lot more focused the rest of the day. I'm not sure I'll have time to do any sort of regular lunch run regime, but I will definitely be adding this to my occasional running repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment