Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Go North Young Man!

I had the brilliant plan of getting my 15 miler out of the way this afternoon. Rather than doing the smart thing and picking an easy (i.e. flat) route, I decided to head north to the Bronx since it's impossible for me to get their during the week (and since I spent a fair amount of time in Brooklyn and Queens over the weekend). I headed to the Hudson River Greenway for my northward trek.

Usually when I'm heading to the northwest Bronx, I'll take the Henry Hudson Bridge. For my first several years in the city it was closed to pedestrians but now it provides a nice direct link from Inwood in Manhattan to Riverdale in the Bronx. Today, however, I mixed things up and took the Broadway Bridge. Going this route not only adds some serious distance, it also adds some nice rolling hills.

I worked my way west to Riverdale and traveled along Palisade Ave which is bordered by Riverdale Park, the Metro North Hudson Line, and the river. There are some awesome views through the trees, especially in the winter when there are no leaves. I stayed on Palisade Ave all the way north to the College of Mount St Vincent before heading east again.

Usually I would head south again at this point and catch the 7th Avenue local back to Manhattan, but since I had more miles to get in I decided to continue east towards the Jerome Avenue line. I mainly followed McLean Ave which is a winding and predominantly Irish thoroughfare in southeast Yonkers. The Times had a story about this stretch back in 2002. I could not believe how many Irish bars there were! At least one on every block!

Finally I made my way to Woodlawn Cemetery and caught the 4 back to Manhattan. This was a great run to explore, though with all the hills it was hardly and easy one. Now I just need to find time to come back and check out some of the great pubs I saw!

See the map after the break.


Find more Run in New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment